Sunday, February 8, 2009

My Chili Recipe

Well, my dear friend, Janelle, has asked me to post more recipes that I use. So, I'll try to post some more of the meals that I make a lot. This one is my rendition of W3ndie's Chili (the "3" is to prevent my blog from turning up in search engines, FYI). Anyhow, I've adapted the original recipe, albeit slightly, to Adam's and my tastes. I have to say: It's mighty good!

  • 2 lbs. ground beef **I generally use about 1 lb. of ground turkey to be a little healthier, and you really can't tell that the soup is lacking b/c it's super-hearty anyways.
  • 1-29 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 2-15 oz. cans dark red kidney beans (with liquid)
  • 2-15 oz. cans pinto beans (with liquid)
  • 1 cup diced onion**I buy this frozen in a bag for the ease at Kroger, and eyeball the amount.
  • 1/2 c. diced celery**I love celery, therefore I use a lot of it; however, use as little or as much as you would like. I'm giving you permission. :)
  • 3 medium tomatoes, chopped**This is what the recipe calls for, but I generally use at least a 15 oz. can of diced, stewed tomatoes, low-sodium.
  • 2 tsp. cumin powder**Again, this is what's listed in the actual recipe I have, but I use at least 3-4 tsp. b/c I can't get enough of what it brings to the chili.
  • 3 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2 cups water
  1. Brown the ground meat in skillet.
  2. While browning the meat, go ahead and add all the other ingredients into a pot, and begin to cook. On about medium to medium-high heat.
  3. When meat is cooked, drain it, and add it to the pot.
  4. Simmer on low to low-medium heat for as long as you want, stirring occasionally. It gets better the longer you leave. :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I have a chili recipe that Brian loves, but I liked yours so much more. Mine is dry I feel like and yours was a lot runnier. I am so excited about giving this one a try! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete