Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Really Yummy & Pretty Healthy Recipe That I Love!

I found this recipe via http://www.moneysavingmom.com/, and it sounded so good that I had to try it. It's spinach, rice, & cheese casserole, and it is super-yummy. I am copying and pasting verbatim the recipe from the site that I got it from, although I am posting my personal change notes in the color-type. Go here, if you want to look at this lady's other recipes.



Recipe Name: Spinach Rice Casserole

Description: An easy baked side dish of spinach, rice, and cheese


Yield: 4-6 servings


Ingredients:

**I made a double batch of this recipe, which fits nicely in a 9x13 pan.
9 or 10 ounces fresh spinach leaves **I used about 8 oz. per batch, or one 1lb. $4 box of baby spincach leaves from Sam's Club for the whole dbl. batch.

1 tablespoon water

1 teaspoon dried onion (or 2 tablespoons of fresh, minced onion)

1 cup cooked rice (measurement is after cooking, not before) **I used 1.5 cups of BROWN rice per batch.

1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

1/3 cup milk

2 eggs, beaten

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce **This adds a very nice flavor to the spinach that would make even non-spinach lovers like it, I believe. However, it tends to be a little strong, so you might want to cut it back to 1/2 to 2/3 Tbsp. per batch.

Also, in place of Worcestershire sauce, I think garlic would taste very good in this recipe, but I haven't attempted to tweak it in that manner yet. Enjoy!!!





Instructions:
1. Place spinach and water in a large pan or skillet. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until spinach leaves wilt.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all other ingredients. Add the wilted spinach and stir. Pour into a greased 8x8-inch square baking dish.
3. Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes, until set in the middle. (Test with fork.)
Additional Notes:



Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 35-40 minutes

1 comment:

  1. I was going to buy ingredients tonight for this recipe but Brian said he is not a fan of spinach and doesn't think he would like it. I was kinda bummed. But keep posting new recipes, it's nice to get something new in the mix. Speaking of recipes, I still need your chili one.

    ReplyDelete