Caroline loves having books read to her. She is constantly asking me to read to her, which I do try to indulge her in, as much as possible. She also has a pretty good grasp of her letters and the various sounds they make.
SO, what does this mean? It means, I think she's ready to learn to read! Yikes.
My mom taught us to read when we were all around 3-4, and has told me that she used the A Beka Books little owl books with us. I've been looking into those.
I also got the Hooked on Phonics core reading program on the skinny several months ago. However, the girls mastered the child safety locks (yes, locks plural!), and got into the box of books and such, the little monkeys. I have yet to find many of the first few readers for the first unit. Lovely.
Lastly, I'm looking into Modern Curriculum Press' (MCP) Phonics Practice Readers. They seem pretty basic, and they have a teacher's guide that comes with it, which is good for me. I need instruction myself regarding how best to teach phonics!
I'm probably over-thinking this, but that's what I do best. Ha! Anyhow, I can't believe I'm old enough to have a daughter who's old enought to start learning to read! Craziness.I'll close with a question. If you have taught/are teaching your child(ren) to read, what readers/curriculum did you use? Do you like them?
Thanks!
.jpg)
.jpg)
I've not taught a child to read, but I did hear from a lady once that her grandmother and her mother both used this concept and both girls (her and her mom) were reading at age 3. Every time they read a book, they pointed to each word as they read them. And ta-da... child is reading at age 3.
ReplyDelete