Friday, January 15, 2010

Favorite Things Friday--One of My Favorite Songs










When I went to Ecuador in 2004, my life was deeply touched.  In fact, if the Lord ever called my family there, I'd go in a heartbeat. 


Shortly after I got back, Caedmon's Call came out with an album of songs that were based on people and lessons that they learned while on a mission trip to India and Ecuador.  The songs were even recorded using the local music and voices.  It's a wonderful CD, and I highly recommend it.  It's called "Share the Well."


The point of this post, however, was to share the lyrics of a song that is on that CD, called "The Roses".




How much of what we call important, really matters anyway?




The Roses


high above the valley of Quito,



an old man and his bride grow roses,


red and yellow, white and golden,


and to him they are precious as children






their daughter, she moved to America,


one more brick in the tower of Babel,


she has a son they’ve never seen at all,


and they’re praying they raised her well,






on this mountain high,


they will live and die,


as time just slips away,


and the children grow


in the God they know,


as time just slips away,






a man, his bride, his children and his roses,


planted in faith, and watered in tears,


Honey, that’s all they have and they’re happier here


than any of my friends back home,


they’ve met Jesus and they really know him,






now I’m back at home, all alone, and trying to find my thoughts,


about that old man, so inspiring, but the TV’s always on,


and the phone, it won’t stop ringing, and these bills they keep on screaming


to pay for all the things that we have never really needed,


and I wonder what he’s doing right now,


maybe walking through his simple field and thinking about how


God has blessed him so,


a man, his bride, his children and his roses.


1 comment:

  1. Hooray for Favorite Friday! I missed that! I love Caedmons call. I am not sure I have beard this song though. The lyrics were beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete