Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The New Year: Goal #1

Well, it's that time of the year again. Yep, the beginning of the year actually! This year, I am setting some high goals for myself, and I want to share some of them.

My first goal, is one that I wanted to do last year, but I couldn't get my act together in time.

Goal #1:

Read through the Bible in one year.



I am so excited about this goal. I have always wanted to do it, so this year I'm going to do my best to accomplish the goal. I will be following Bethlehem Baptist Church's Bible Reading Plan. The way that John Piper (I'm assuming he was responsible for it, that is.) set it up, seems to be very manageable, which is what I need at this moment.

I always thought that I wouldn't be able to glean much through something like this, because I'd be going so quickly through the Scriptures; however, in these first five days, I have been amazed at all I have learned. What a blessing. Also, the way the plan is set up, you are left with 3-6 "catch-up days" a month, so that will be a great thing.

There are so many verses about the benefits and needs of studying Scripture, but the one that has struck me the most lately is the one that's actually highlighted on the top page of the plan itself. Here it is:

"If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." --John 15:7-8

Are you doing anything like this, or have you ever? I'd love to hear what you have to say about it.

1 comment:

  1. Good goal. I thought about making this my goal for the year, and my only goal. Normally I make a couple. The reason I thought about making this my goal too is because I think staying home full time will be a temptation for me to not be in the Word every day. Right now it doesn't seem so hard because I get up and do it before I leave the house, but I find myself struggling on Saturdays when I am sleeping in and snuggling late with my hubby. I do hope you accomplish this goal this year. I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete