Saturday, May 2, 2009

I Found This Particularly Convicting This Week....

This comes from Charles H. Spurgeon's Morning and Evening Devotional. I found his words particularly apt and encouraging/rebuking (as they are often one and the same!). Here are a couple of excerpts:


THERE are murmurers amongst Christians now, as there were in the camp of Israel of old. There are those who, when the rod falls, cry out against the afflictive dispensation. They ask, “Why am I thus afflicted? What have I done to be chastened in this manner?” A word with thee, O murmurer! Why shouldst thou murmur against the dispensations of thy heavenly Father? Can He treat thee more hardly than thou deservest? . . . . . . . . . . . But know one thing—“He doth not afflict willingly, nor grieve the children of men.” All His corrections are sent in love, to purify thee, and to draw thee nearer to Himself. Surely it must help thee to bear the chastening with resignation if thou art able to recognize thy Father's hand. For “whom the Lord loveth He chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom He receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons.”

Find the whole post from the April 30th morning devotional, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment