Friday, May 8, 2009

My Favorite Things Friday--Fiction Books/Writers

Okay, so, anybody who knows me knows that I am a pretty avid reader. Maybe not as avid as I used to be, before having kids, but I still love it. Anyhow, one of my guilty pleasures in the reading-department is Christian fiction. I love it! In lieu of that, I thought I'd highlight a few of my favorite books/series/authors.


Favorite Fiction Book:


I have loved this book for years. It's a contemporary romance/novel. It follows two sisters who deal with more than their fair share (humanly-speaking) of tragedy, and shows how God uses their journeys to guide them to Him and bring Himself glory. So good! It is pretty well-written, in my opinion, and you quickly become absorbed in their story. I don't want to give any of it away; that's why I'm being slightly ambiguous in describing it!
I have read literally all of Lori Wick's works up to the last few years (i.e. before having children, I was current!), and have generally liked just about everything!




Favorite Fiction Series:


Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers


Oh man, could I go on about this series! First of all, this series is not for the faint of heart. It follows a slave-girl, named Hadassah, through much of her life as a servant. It takes place in the First Century A. D., during the destruction of Jerusalem to the persecution of Christians in Rome and beyond. You really need to read the reviews/summaries of these books, and then go read them! They are gut-wrenching, uncomfortable, and exceedingly challenging to your faith. Read them! That's all I have to say about that!


The only reason these wouldn't be in my favorite book category is b/c I would be hard-pressed to choose only one as my favorite out of the three! Seriously, read 'em!



Favorite Fiction Author:


This author is one of a few favorite fiction authors; however, she is right up top, and I thought I'd highlight her first: Karen Kingsbury She is such an honest, real writer. All of her books echo reality. It's not hard to find anything she writes believable, and I often finish her books feeling convicted and refreshed. She doesn't balk at bringing real-life issues that life often dishes out into her writing, so they can be tough at times, but oh so honest and excellent! If you want a good series to start of hers, start with the Redemption Series, which introduces you to the Baxter Family. She then follows the lives of this family for 2 (I think it is) more series, after that one.

So there you have it! Those are a few of my favorites. What are some of yours?


1 comment:

  1. Sally told me to read the series by Francine Rivers too so it is on my list of things to read for this year.
    You already know my faves, Karen Kingsbury, Robin Jones Gunn, and Elizabeth George.

    But a book I read last year that I thought was excellent was "The Dream Giver" drawing a blank on his name..Wilkinson I believe. It was like a short pilgrim progress almost about the journey Christian's go on and the obstacles we face. It reminded me so much of the time of my life trying to pick the right college. I may start buying this book for every senior I am close to.
    I am not sure if this would be considered fiction though?

    And I loved the book Stepping Heavenward by E. Prentiss. it is about a woman's journey to Godliness. It was really good.

    ReplyDelete