Thursday, May 14, 2009

Penne with Chicken and Asparagus

If you're looking for a light and yummy pasta dish, I'd highly recommend the following recipe. I found it on allrecipes.com, and it is delightful. The only thing I might change is the basic sauce. I think I'll try a more buttery, cheesy sauce next time; otherwise, this is excellent! Enjoy!





Ingredients:


1 (16 ounce) package dried penne pasta (Next time I'll probably use about 2/3 of this amount of pasta.)
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into cubes
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 bunch slender asparagus spears, trimmed, cut on diagonal into 1-inch pieces
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese


Directions:

  • Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, and set aside.

  • Warm 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in chicken, and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook until chicken is cooked through and browned, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken to paper towels.

  • Pour chicken broth into the skillet. Then stir in asparagus, garlic, and a pinch more garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cover, and steam until the asparagus is just tender, about 5 to 10 minutes. Return chicken to the skillet, and warm through.

  • Stir chicken mixture into pasta, and mix well. Let sit about 5 minutes. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, stir again, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

2 comments: